• Red Sox Schedule

• Weather Widget

• Who will win the Back, back, back...Home Run derby?

Fielder, Tigers: He's proven to be Missouri's main masher, having won the Derby in St. Louis in 2009 and in Kansas City last year. Can he take the crown in Queens? If he does, he'll become the Derby's second three-time winner, joining Ken Griffey Jr. Griffey and Fielder are the only players to win multiple Derby trophies.

"I just want to win to have my boys stand up there with me," Fielder said. "That's the only reason I like winning, so that they can experience it."

Wright, Mets: He'll get the loudest cheers of the night, naturally. He might be less likely to provide the biggest bashes. He averaged 29 homers his first four full seasons and 18 the following four (shifting to Citi Field in 2009 didn't help). But you never know what the home cooking might reap for Wright in his second Derby appearance.

Davis, Orioles: Given his sensational first half, Davis will be a popular pick to click in his first Derby. He is on pace for a 60-plus-homer season, which hasn't been done since 2001. People are going to be expecting a show from the burly Orioles first baseman.

Bryce Harper, Nationals: Hopefully, the left knee injury Harper has battled this season doesn't deter his ability in his first appearance in this event, because his raw power is a beautiful thing to behold. Harper hit a homer measured at 570 feet when he was a high school freshman, and he went deep 22 times in his rookie year.

Cano, Yankees: The AL captain is likely to find Citi Field a more welcoming place than Kauffman Stadium, where he was booed heartily last year for snubbing the Royals' Billy Butler. Cano's looking for a repeat of 2011, when he hit 32 homers at Chase Field, including 12 in the final round, to win the Derby.

Pedro Alvarez, Pirates: A replacement for the injured Carlos Gonzalez, Alvarez is a big swinger who, like Fielder, might find that the Derby is tailored to his talents. Alvarez already has 24 homers at the turn. So while he wasn't one of Wright's initial picks, he's certainly a worthy one.

Yoenis Cespedes, A's: Yasiel Puig might be the most captivating Cuban player in the big leagues at the moment, but Cespedes is no slouch himself, and he's been known to put on a show during BP.

Michael Cuddyer, Rockies: No question, Cuddyer was the most surprising selection for the 2013 Derby field, but he's no slap hitter. He was a sentimental pick on the part of Wright, who lauds Cuddyer as the guy who opened the door for other kids from the Virginia Beach area to get noticed by scouts. Wright also remembers Cuddyer's performance in a 2008 charity home run-hitting contest among Major Leaguers from the Virginia Beach area, where Cuddyer beat out Wright, Ryan Zimmerman, Mark Reynolds and the Upton brothers, among others.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Who will win the Back, back, back...Home Run derby? started by Mikiemo83 View original post